Welp. As many of you know I shut my etsy shop down temporarily. Why? I was feeling that the shop needing a lil something extra, and even though I've been creating pretty regularly, it wasn't fast enough to fill the shop with current designs. I felt that the old designs I was trying to put on sale were clashing with new designs. I also elicited some help from fellow etsians on the success blog and got some really helpful feedback regarding my shop cohesion. So, I decided to close shop in order to give myself time to test out some new patterns without the pressure of listing them, and in the process develop a cohesive set of designs to reintroduce just in time for fall.
The more I thought about it, the more I realized how much I've grown and changed since starting RR. My pattern making skills have gotten much better and I'm more confident taking on new design ideas (and faster at executing them). I am changing the way I source my materials and using a wider range of textiles. To do justice to these changes, I felt a break was in order to really have the shop reflect where I'm at. I've also done a lot of research to help me determine exactly what I want to offer, to whom, and how?Here's what stays the same
Here's what will change
- RR continues to be about making quality clothing out of natural fibers, and continues to offer custom sizing for just about any shape/size.
- RR still provides clothes that oh-so-carefully ride the line between sexy and modest, modern and vintage, mature and youthful.
- I will be working with different fabrics and probably in smaller quantities. In most cases I can get more of something if someone requests it, but I'm not planning on having entire bolts on hand. It's too much of an investment without a guaranteed sell. I've also learned that I produce more and my creativity benefits more from being able to do shroter runs of things because there isn't the pressure of having to get rid of all that fabric if the design isn't successful.
- I will be designing a dedicated wholesale line for which i could potentially buy whole bolts. Making those exclusive designs will allow me to maintain my etsy shop with no competition w/ the other retailer, and will make the retailer comfortable promoting my brand name.
- I will be using more knit fabrics.